This week, I was thinking about my high school experience and how technology was used. I remember that I was in a few classrooms that did not even have white boards until half way through my sophomore year. A few of the classrooms in the older wing were still using chalk boards. This is interesting to note because half way through my senior year, every classroom at Kentridge High School got a smart board. In the 3-year span of my high school career, I went from using chalk boards to smart boards. Even though my classes had smart boards, none of my teachers knew how to use them. In 4-5 months of having the smart boards in classrooms, not one of my teachers used the board for anything more than tapping it twice to change the slide on a powerpoint presentation.
I think that my experience really shows how fast technology has developed over the last few years. Technology has really impacted the way we approach school and teaching. I'm sure that since I have graduated, Kentridge teachers have learned more about the smart board and how to use it. At the time, I did not see the point of the smart boards since none of my teachers used them. There are so many more things that teachers can use to teach because of technology. I think that I have learned that teachers need to learn how to use the technology that is in their classrooms because it can be very beneficial for the learning process.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can relate to the chalk boards. At my high school we still had some chalk boards, and we used them a lot. We eventually did move to the newer white boards but never did get any smart boards. We were stuck with those loud projectors that the lights would always burn out.
ReplyDelete