Mayfield, Kristin H., Irene M. Glenn, and Timothy R. Vollmer. "Teaching Spelling through Prompting and Review Procedures Using Computer-Based Instruction." Journal of Behavioral Education 17.3 (2008): 303-312. ERIC. EBSCO. Web. 3 Feb. 2010.
The article that I read was entitled Teaching Spelling Through Prompting and Review Procedures Using Computer-Based Instruction. This article details an experiment that was conducted on a classroom of 6th grade students. The teacher used computer-based instruction to teach topics. The students' progress in the classroom was monitored based on whether the student was above average/gifted, below average, or a standard student. The results showed that computers were a valuable resource for all types of students to use. Students were able to learn more spelling words than if they did not use computers. Gifted students were able to work ahead. Furthermore, computers would benefit below average students because teachers would be able to spend more time working one-on-one with them while other students use the computers. The computer programs also allowed the students to practice spelling at home.
The results from the computer-based instruction was compared to students learning how to spell without a computer. Also, follow up tests were administered 3 weeks after the experiment to see if the information that the students learned from either test was retained. While the research on this is not complete, evidence seems to point to the fact that computer-based instruction is effective.
From this article, I have learned that computers can be very effective for helping students learn how to spell. Having students use computers allows them to work individually without needing a lot of help from a teacher. Also, this allows the teacher to have more time to spend helping the students who are stuggling. I will be able to use computer-based instruction in my own classroom. I can have students practice certain skills using programs and websites. I will have them use the websites at school and at home. Computer-based instruction can be used for more than just spelling. It can be used for all subjects.
NETS for Teachers:
Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
I think that it is important for teachers to continue to grow in their knowledge of technology in the classroom. Technology is constantly changing, so it is important for teachers to keep themselves up to date on how to use new sources of technology. As more and more technology emerges, the students will become more and more aware of and comfortable with different types of technology. As a result, it is important for teachers to keep pace so that they can keep their students engaged in the classroom. If a teacher fails to use new sources of technology, students may become disinterested in what the teacher has to say. In order to maintain a focused and growing learning environment, teachers need to implement technology in the way that they teach.
1. I will be part of the Technology in Education class. In this learning environment, I will be able to interact with my peers in order to explore new sources of technology and how those sources are applicable to the classroom setting. It is important that I am able to interact with other future teachers so that we can all grow in our knowledge of technology together, and help each other along the way.
2. I will seek out new sources of technology that I can use in the classroom. I will learn how to use these resources in order to be able to implement them in my own classroom in the future. I will explore new websites, SMARTboard activities, web browsers and other technological tools that I can use in my classroom.
3. I will help improve my effectiveness as a teacher by implementing the things that I have learned in this class. It is important for teachers to use technology when they teach so that they can better engage their students. When students are engaged in what they are doing, they learn more. In order to accomplish this goal, I will use the different teaching strategies that involve technology.
NETS for Students:
Technology Operations and Concepts
This standard is important for students to be able to do because teaching in going to be incorporating more and more technology. Students should have the knowledge of how to operate different types of technology. For example, if a student does not know how to use the SMARTboard, they will not be able to participate in the activities that are done on the SMARTboard. It is important for students to have a general knowledge of technology so that when technology is used in the classroom, they can focus on what is being taught by the teacher, not how to use the technology.
1. In order to help my students understand how to use the SMARTboard, I could give a short demonstration at the beginning of the year. I could allow all of them to practice on the board by setting up easy activities for them to do. If the activities are easy, then they can focus more on learning the technology. Once they have gained confidence in using the board, I can have them complete more complex activities that require more academic thought.
2. I could have my students do a research project which requires them to use various search engines. This would help them to understand the different types of search engines that are available and which ones they like better than others. For example, if they were researching a specific country, they could try using google, dogpile, bing, ask, or other search engines to learn more about the country that they are researching.
3. I could have them take quizes that incorporate the SMARTboard and the student remotes. This would help them to understant how to log in to something, as well as how to use technology to answer questions.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment