Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Assignment #4

I created a smart board presentation that was about balanced and unbalanced forces. It also is about friction. I would use this presentation to teach physics principles to an 8th grade class.

I learned how to do the following:
-make a video using photo story
-make a video using a flip camera
-insert an attahment in a smart board presentation
-insert a web link in a smart board presentation
-insert interactive "pull tabs"
-insert interactive elements such as popping balloons
-insert a formal title page
-insert smart response questions

I encountered a few problems while creating my presentation. I did not know how to include interactive elements in order to make my presentation more professional looking. To solve this, I included a title page and used interactive games and pull tabs to make it seem "cool." I also had trouble loading my videos to the presentation. I was able to include them as attachments, but those will only work on my computer. Therefore, the videos will not work on any other computer. I had a ton of trouble uploading my presentation. It was too large to be uploaded to the free version of box.net. So, I tried emailing it, but my email wouldn't allow it to be sent either. I will need to bring it in to show it to Professor Sorenson.

This project was helpful to me because it helped me become more familiar with elements of the smart board. I figure that I will be spending a lot of time with either the smart board or activboard when I am a teacher. It is important to become very familiar with how to create a professional-looking presentation. I chose to do a smart board presentation for this project because I wanted to become more comfortable with it. I am not a very tech savvy person. So, I wanted to become more capable of using the smart board. As of right now, I do feel a lot more comfortable than I did before I created this presenation. I think that I could use my physics presentation and teach that lesson in a classroom. I will be able to use the skills I learned about attachments, links, and using the smart response system to create additional presentations. These skills will definitely be used when I am teaching lessons in a classroom. I now feel more comfortable and capable of using the smart board in a way that looks "cooler" and more professional. I had planned on only using one type of video. However, I did not feel like I knew much about using videos so I wanted to include two different types. I think that flip videos will become more and more common, so I wanted to become more familiar and comfortable with how they work. I also learned how to create my own photo story videos. I think that both types of videos could be used in my classroom in the future.

NETS for students: The students will use the NETS standards #2 and #6. For the 2nd standard, students will be able to "use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others." Students will come up to the smart board and identify different things that are either balanced or unbalanced forces. Students will also use elements of the smart board to reveal different definitions and videos. The 6th standard is that students will "demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations." Students will be able to know how different interactive elements of the smart board. They will understand how links and interactive elements work. They will participate in a smart response quiz.

NETS for teachers: The teacher will use the NETS standards #1 and #5. The first standard states: "Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments." I will use both videos and actual demonstrations to show students how friction and forces work. The two types of demonstrations will balance each other. There will be both a technological element and a human interaction element. The 5th standard states: "Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources." I have accomplished this by becoming more familiar with different types of videos and smart board presentation elements. I have learned so much about how to create smart board presentations and videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment